Shopping For Bikes On A $500 Budget Can Be Hard!
Are you in the market for a new bicycle but don't have a huge amount of money to spend?
Have you been told that you can't buy a bike shop quality bike for less than five hundred bucks?
Well we're about to show you that you can have your cake and eat it too!
And no, we're not going to send you to a mass merchant or Amazon!
We care too much about your well being to do such a thing. So....
We've broken things down into mountain bikes, road bikes and hybrid bikes for you.
The Best Mountain Bikes Under $500
These bikes are our suggested options for entry level trail or "mountain bikes". They are designed for light off road use and just getting around on. Entry level mountain bikes also make great bikes for shorter commutes!
Reid X - Trail 27.5
The Reid X-Trail 27.5 features a 6061 T6 aluminum frame that's lightweight and durable. It has a trail-inspired geometry to ensure confidence on and off-road. A Suntour XCT suspension fork with 100mm of travel helps smooth out bumps, and the lockout allows you to get the most efficiency when riding over smooth terrain or riding up steep hills. A Shimano Altus 24-speed drivetrain offers plenty of gearing for hilly rides, and the powerful Tektro mechanical disc brakes offer controlled stopping in any conditions.
Trek Marlin 5
Designed for the rider that is looking to dabble with some slightly more aggressive off road riding or commuting and just plans on being more aggressive with the bike in general.
It uses an upgraded aluminum frame for 2018 and hydraulic disc brakes for better stopping power.
The drivetrain consists of Shimano Tourney and Altus parts.
Front suspension duty is handled by a SR Suntour XCE fork.
Bontrager bits and pieces make up the rest of the bike.
Available in mens or ladies versions.
Trek Marlin 4
If you're looking to get on a Trek but are on a tighter budget then the Marlin 4 is your bike. The 4 is a slightly toned down version of the Marlin 5. Great for bouncing around town and so much more.
A high quality aluminum frame that uses slightly less tech than the Marlin 5. A tad bit heavier with less funky shaping.
Mechanical disc brakes and Suntour forks are standout parts picks. Shimano drivetrain pieces and Bontrager components round things out.
The Marlin 4 is a tough one to beat if you're looking at bikes under $450.00.
The Best Road Bikes Under $500
We've picked out our favorite sub $500 road bikes and added one slightly more pricey option because it rocks. Entry level road bikes are great for commuting, working out or the occasional long ride.
The Express is an excellent value road bike. Its lightweight alloy frame is ideal for a fast, responsive ride for city commuting and longer fitness rides. You’ll get a taste for quality Shimano parts and a performance geometry without breaking the bank. The compact crankset and wide-range rear freewheel ensure you can be in the right gear at all times.
- Shimano STI integrated brake and gear levers make for easy control
- Double crankset and 7-speed gearing gives a wide, evenly spaced gear range
- Slick road tires for low rolling resistance
The Best Hybrid Bikes Under $500
Hybrids are great for getting around town, commuting or just smelling the roses. A hybrid is a "do everything" bike, they can be ridden on pavement, gravel and very tame single track trails and are easily accessorized.
Trek FX 1
The FX 1 from Trek is our best selling hybrid. Folks love it for it's super light ride and weight as well as it's durability.
The FX 1 can be easily set up with racks, fenders and bike lights to become an inexpensive commuter bike or long rider.
Decked out with Shimano components and Bontrager bits and pieces the FX should be your go to fitness hybrid.
Available in mens or ladies models.
Fuji Traverse 1.5
Constructed of custom-butted A2-SL aluminum that is both strong and lightweight, the Traverse Step-Through is a city trekking bike with do-it-all attitude. Equipped with a suspension fork and disc brakes, it blends the stable handling and durability of a mountain bike with the speed and precision of a road bike. And, Fuji’s step-through frame design ensures easy on and off. For work commutes, errands around town, and path rides through the woods, the wide-range 24-speed gearing and knobby 700 x 38c tires keep you quick and stable. Disc brakes provide superior stopping power in wet weather, and a chainring guard keeps things clean. The rack and fender mounts add carrying capacity and all-weather utility, while the Oval women's saddle offers long-distance comfort.
Trek Verve 1 Disc
The Trek Verve series is our go to set up for "comfort hybrids" due to their crazy comfortable ride and upright positioning.
Super lightweight and easy to ride due to it's 700x40c tires the Verve 1 is a favorite among folks just looking to get out for some fresh air and the occasional longer ride or commute.
Disc brakes add an huge level of safety with better stopping power.
The Verve 1 is the first in the series and is available in either men's or ladies models.
Let's Wrap Things Up Shall We
So now that we've given you some of our favorite and best bikes under $500 let's get a few things straight.
- The bikes we have listed here are all bike shop quality bikes, not low quality products made for cheap mass consumption.
- These bikes are all made with the highest quality parts that their price ranges will allow.The aluminum and steel used in the production of these bicycles are of the highest quality for their price.
- When shopping for bikes under $500 you have to be very careful to not get sucked into the bogus marketing schemes of the big online retailers and Amazon sellers.
- They are not bike shops or bike shop employees for the most part, they are just trying to make a buck off of your lack of knowledge in this area. For instance, did you know that dual suspension mountain bike for $300 weighs over 40 pounds!
- Aluminum is not just aluminum and steel is not just steel, there are varying grades and weights so do not get snookered into thinking that crazy looking full suspension bike or aerodynamic looking road bike is by any means lightweight just because the seller says it is.
- We are a 3rd generation bike shop, family owned and operated since 1932.
- Dedham Bike is run by cyclists and bike enthusiasts who are proud to offer you the best brands and equipment as well as our hard earned knowledge.
- We've done our homework so that you don't have to.