The Best Road Bikes Under $1000
If you're in the market for the best budget road bike you can find we're here to help.
In this article we'll narrow down the bikes that we feel are deserving of the title of the best road bike for a beginner under $1000.
Now mind you, we know there are many options from which to choose from. The bikes we have listed here are some of our favorites.
We've based our picks on their value, performance and durability. Opinions may vary but we've based our choices on decades of experience.
Keep in mind we are a bike shop, not an online price cutter or affiliate site. These bicycles are high quality, well known brands that hit your price point.
If you're in the market for something a little more pricey check out our more high end options.
Enjoy reading and if you have more questions we're here to help.
What Makes A Great Entry Level Road Bike?
We feel that in today's market the options that are available to you have never been better.
Today's beginner road bikes are lighter, ride better and are more comfortable than ever due to better materials and technology.
Another nice side effect of these advancements is a more durable bike, today's starter road bikes can handle more miles and rougher roads.
So how does all this happen exactly?
- Lighter Alloy Frames - Better aluminum technology available today
- Carbon Fiber Forks - Lighter carbon forks make for a more comfortable ride
- Better Shifting Performance - Crisper shifting and more gears for hills
- More Comfortable - More upright seating and more comfortable saddles
- Wider Tires - Bigger volume tires are more comfortable and durable
- Affordable - The value in today's entry level budget road bikes has never been higher!
Pretty amazing hey? The performance, value, comfort and durability of today's budget road bikes is really off the charts.
Buyer Beware - Things To Consider While Starter Road Bike Shopping
We get it, money is money.
The difference between $500 and $800 is huge to most folks but when looking for a road bike that dollar difference can result in a big difference in performance and quality. Don't opt for the cheapest option unless you absolutely have to!
Give the following items some thought:
- If buying online, who will assemble your bike for you?
- Am I buying a brand a bike shop would sell? If no, move along. (Trek, Cannondale, Fuji, Specialized Etc.)
- Who will service your bike down the road?
- What size bike should I buy? This is probably the most important consideration.
- Are the components on the bike a well known brand? (Shimano, Sram Etc.)
- If buying at a bike shop, will you get free service and an initial sizing?
- Have you left enough in the budget for some cool accessories? There's a few must haves here.
With these considerations in mind, let's get to it!
The Best Road Bikes Under $1000 - Our Picks
The following models are in our opinion, the best bang for the buck in a budget road bike.
**Please note that due to recent tariffs pricing has shifted on certain bikes, potentially pushing bikes originally below the 1k mark to slightly over
Trek Domane AL 3
The AL 3 is our best seller here at Dedham Bike.
It represents the best in performance, comfort and durability.
Offering a Shimano Sora 18 speed gear setup for your sifting needs.
Big volume 28C tires allow for lower tire pressures for added comfort.
A carbon fiber fork keeps the weight down.
Mounts for racks, water bottles, fenders and lights.
Fuji Jari 2.5
The Jari 2.5 is an "all roads" entry level road bike.
Not a speed racer but more of a do it all setup.
Take it for a long pavement ride or hit up those gravel roads!
Disc brakes, bigger knobby style tires and a bombproof frame.
Comes stock with Shimano Claris and Panaracer Gravelking tires.
Trek Domane AL 2 WSD
It's a real starter women's road bike at a great value, and it gets you into the world of road cycling without a giant price tag.It comes with a Women's Specific Design saddle and handlebar that make you say, "Yeah, that feels like it was made for me".
The stable Endurance Geometry delivers comfort and confidence.The unique IsoSpeed Carbon fork, which swoops forward toward the dropouts, absorbs vibrations from the road so your arms won't fatigue as quickly.
Fuji Sportif 2.1 - 2018 - Sale $749.99
The Sportif 2.1 by Fuji is a huge value, especially at a discounted price!
This is a chance for you to buy a better bike at a lower price.
Have it shipped to you or opt for in store pickup with free assembly.
Featuring a lightweight A2-SL aluminum frame with carbon fork.
Like the Domane AL 3 the Sportif 2.1 comes with Shimano Sora gearing.
Upright and comfortable riding position and ready for accessories.